01 July 2008

Purifying the Source

The French novelist Francois Mauriac has a dictum of which I am rather fond, "purify the source." (Note to reader: I confess that I have not actually read Mauriac, but happened upon this pearl of wisdom second-hand.) Perhaps it reminds me of Saint Paul's phrase (regarding the charism of prophecy), "test everything; retain what is good" (2 Thessalonians 5:21). So we are to take what is most beautiful and true from a work of art and leave the rest.

Now I have a reputedly eclectic taste in music, so as you can probably guess I do a lot of purifying. Most would agree that Billy Joel isn't exactly on the level of the prophet Joel, either in the quality or the content of his craft. Still, I don't let that deter me from listening. It gets me through Math homework. And though there is much to purify in "Only the Good Die Young", Catholic belief and practice being what it is (and Billy's education in that particular field being what it is), there is a sliver of light that "shines in the darkness." Consider this gem:
You said your mother told you
All I could give you was a reputation
Ah, she never cared for me
But did she ever say a prayer for me?

Ouch! Let that be a warning to the Pharisees among us.

I dunno. I would like to develop this theme further (after I have read more Mauriac, or Maritain for that matter), as I think our Church and our society could definitely benefit from some source-purifying. It would, at least, allow us Christians to see the face of Christ reflected in art more often, even if the mirror be a mite spotty.

Here's a wonderful video montage in honor of the Blessed Mother featuring (you guessed it) Billy Joel's "She's Got a Way". Maybe Virginia taught Billy a thing or two? One can hope.



In His peace.

No comments: